Saturday, February 8, 2014

My First Week in India

A few things I forgot to mention in my last post were the interesting music selection in the Indian airport.  Ranging from odd electronic versions of The Cardigans “Lovefool” to Phantom of the Opera’s “Music of the Night.”  Each time I heard a new song while waiting to report my lost luggage I giggled a little.  That was probably another reason I stayed so calm through the whole process. 

I also received my luggage intact, on Tuesday morning and was thrilled! 


I’ve never been someplace with such an odd fragrance in the air.  At first it seemed to just be tropical and damp with a different smell but as I arrived at the airport there was a definite odor in the lobby of the hotel. There’s really no way to describe the smell other than it’s sort of a spicy musky incense.

I was able to try Domino’s cheese pizza at the office which was actually pretty tasty, besides my lack of a full meal during my 2 days.  My 4:30 am dinner at the Westin, I’m not so sure about.  I decided to go the safe route and order a chicken quesadilla.  It looked quite tasty when it arrived but when I peeked inside I noticed the chicken was marinated in some Indian way, I assume.  I only ate about 1 and a half pieces, we’ll see how my body reacts to the chili peppers and heavy cilantro.  Both of which I love, at home. 


The second day, under the recommendation of the manager Sumon, I tried noodles.  It ended up being Szechwan Chicken and noodles, basically Chinese food with just a touch of spice.  What they call Indochinese in India (or as the sign said chineese.)  Sumon and Surya made sure to tell the cooks “no spice, whatsoever” many times and they listened pretty well.  It was delicious! 

After talking to my manager who has traveled here a few times, she let me know that all of the hotel food was safe to eat which was a relief since I knew my dinner-lunch wouldn’t always be the best.  I’ve tried a couple other things at the hotel; club sandwich…can’t really go wrong there, pasta carbonara…way too saucy, and chicken fried rice…which turned out to be a huge bowl that I ate about a quarter of. 


So far I haven’t had any trouble with the food, but I have been playing it safe since I am here for business and can’t afford to be sick in my hotel room for days.

Much Love,

Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment