Monday, February 3, 2014

Traveling to Hyderabad, India

It should have been a tell tale sign when the plane hadn’t arrived and our boarding time had come and gone.  We came to understand the first officer had a family emergency which meant the plane wasn’t leaving until after my scheduled connection time in Chicago.  After a long discussion with Travelocity Business and the gate agent who was busier fighting with his coworker than worrying about people missing flights, I was finally secured on a United flight free of charge.  Of course once I made it to that gate she treated me like I was dirt and kept saying “I told him I didn’t have any more room” to which my response was “Yes, I am the last person he told you about.”  I love gate attendants with attitudes.  She couldn’t get a seat to book for me but told me to find one of three empty’s she spouted off at me and wandered away.  I finally set off down the ramp over 3 hours later than originally planned. 


I managed to snag the first seat on the plane and the flight attendant was nice enough to put my enormously heavy back pack in her cupboard rather than making me shove it into a space that it would have never fit into.  We had a nice chat during the flight so I was beginning to feel positive about my journey.  I guess I should also mention the later flight I caught out of Cincinnati put me into Chicago about 5:30 and my flight for London left at 6:00.  Originally, I would have thought 30 minutes was enough time.  30 minutes barely comes close to enough time when you arrive at gate B22 and have to run to K12.  I don’t think I’ve run like that since high school soccer, let alone exercised much.  Let me just say I thought I was going to die and my shins still hurt.  (Probably those shin splints rearing their ugly head again.)

So, as I’m manically running through Chicago airport trying to find someone with an airport vehicle I stopped and asked people who looked official how to catch a ride.  They looked at me dumbfounded and said “Uh, we’re not in charge of that.  You’ll just have to flag one down if you see them.”  “Great, thanks!”  I shouted running in my gate’s direction.  I ended up taking a wrong turn, climbing up two flights of stairs and was back on my way when I finally I found a ride, for about 3 valuable minutes.  He dropped me at the entrance to terminal K only for me to realize 12 is nearly at the end.  At this point I am sweating, freaking out, texting Tony and figuring there is no way I am ever making this flight.  And I was right.


As I ran up to gate K12 the girl asked my name which I gave breathlessly and continued to beg since the gate door was shut but the ramp was still connected to the plane.  She responded with a “let me check” and came back with the bad news.  I dropped into a chair and did everything possible not to burst into tears.  You’re 35, Melissa; deal with this!  She said no one had informed them that I was catching such a late connection and they had already rebooked me on a flight at 8:35.  Not too bad, but what was I going to have to do to catch this flight?  I mean, I’d already run about a mile and a half with a 30-40 lb backpack.  Where would I have to go now, back to where I started? 

Nope, I had to go around the corner and ask the lady at K20 if she could check me in and tell me how to get to the next flight in another terminal entirely.  That was like the blind leading the blind.  When I got to that counter they asked if I was someone and when I tried to explain why I was there they sent me to the gate agent at the door, who turned me back around to the ever-so-helpful crew at the desk.  Have you ever asked for directions in an airport?  It’s almost next to impossible when you’ve had the last 4 hours I’d had.  “Go down to the end then go through the revolving door, get on the train that will take you to the British Airways counter where someone will check you in.”  What she should have said was “Go down here until you’re lost aka the intersection, veer right, go around the elevators to the revolving door and get on the train, follow the other travelers until you get to the British Airways counter.  Don’t go into David’s line he’s utterly useless and someone will get you to your next destination.”

Ah David, the middle aged single man who thought he was something special because he worked for British Airways and clearly been to the London Heathrow Airport but was probably too afraid to leave the airport or the hotel he was staying at.  David proceeded to find completely useless information about my bags, which I had already resigned weren’t where they needed to be, and confusingly told me about their story.  I just needed to get to London then India.  15 minutes later he gets me set up and tells me to find the complementary dinner between the Swatch watch store and something else.  I had to have him repeat his directions because I had no idea what he was talking about. 

Chicago pre-TSA employees….total waste of money.  He had no idea how to answer anything.  I honestly wondered if he had ever even flown before or at least been through a TSA check point.  After I made it through my second TSA stop then I was lost in the middle of duty free shop heaven.  Apparently they are doing construction (in every airport on the planet) and I had to walk through the store to get to my gate err…find the place between swatch watch and something else chocolaty.

Once I saw my gate, I also found the Swatch store and the chocolate place.  Wedged in between it all was a British Airways club lounge.  I wasn’t sure if I was there because I looked like I’d run a marathon or what, I later determined it was due to my Business Class flight status…perk #1. I had a nice meal, a relaxing area to chill before my next flight and no annoying airport announcements.  They called us for our flight and I walked across the corridor to the gate.  Sweet!  I was finally boarding a plane to London. 

Now, I’ve never flown internationally other than to the Bahamas 15+ years ago, and I’ve certainly never seen this type of Business Class seating except in movies.  I turned the corner and didn’t even know how to process where I was other than another place to relax.  The nice flight attendants kept coming by and offering me all sorts of things, most of which I didn’t need or want or in some cases have any clue what they were asking me.  I’m sure they got a good laugh out of me and my ignorance.  I was not so ignorant on the second flight.  I tried to catch up on some sleep on my way to London and was mostly successful.  I was very thankful for some of the free items they gave me.  Namely a bag of toiletry items to freshen up when I landed.  Little did I know how valuable that bag would be to me, perk #2.

Once we arrived in London we had to leave the terminal, go all the way out through security and back into the same terminal.  I guess it’s an international thing.  From my perspective, most airports had the same regulations around what you could and couldn’t carry with you so the rescanning through security was just a nice way to stretch my legs.  I did find it interesting that when the traveler in front of me wanted to see his items through the scanner the TSA/security person looked extremely annoyed.  In America you’re required to stay with your items and I think that’s a fairly decent practice.  The probability of someone running up and shoving something in my bag is slim anyway since I can’t fit anything else in it, but it’s still a nice rule. 
In Heathrow I was able to Fast Track my way through most of the lines due to my Business Class ticket, perk #3.  Again, I was offered free food in a lounge and clearly informed of when I would need to leave to catch the train to my next flight.  If you’ve never been to London Heathrow Airport here’s what you’re missing:  It’s basically a mall that gigantic planes fly to and from. It’s almost the picturesque movie airport.  At least in Heathrow everyone was nice, unlike Chicago.

Although the lounge was nice, filled with business minded travelers and a plethora of food; I left about 2 hours early because I didn’t want to miss my flight again.   In fact, I left so early the gate hadn’t even been announced for my flight but I knew I was in the right terminal because the flight boards told me so.  After waiting about 30 minutes for the gate info I grabbed something to drink and went to find a spot at the gate.  Apparently I was the only one in the airport who didn’t know which gate the Hyderabad flight was leaving from. It was packed!
Luckily they started getting us on the plane shortly after I sat down and I was yet again, on my way down the ramp.  I got a window seat this time and was sitting backwards, which was different but totally fine with me.  I do recall David with BA asking if I had any issues with riding on a train going the opposite direction as I was sitting.  I was very perplexed by this question (since he was terrible at directions, remember.)  But I was finally, I was on my way to Hyderabad.

I politely refused most of the random perks you seem to receive in Business Class travel and was nearly asleep before the plane took off.  I should have waited to see cars driving the wrong direction for my return trip but I was so eager to watch upon take off I had trouble falling to sleep later.  Not to mention the insane amount of turbulence that we experienced.  Just imagine; trying to sleep in a waterbed with 2-10 toddlers jumping on the bed.  Yep, just like that.  This was going to be a long 9 and a half hour flight. 

About halfway through I decided sleep was never going to happen and sat up to enjoy some movies.  Apparently movies on planes = out of sync dialogue, pausing and even being thrown back into the menu.  But I watched 2 because there was nothing else for me to do.  It was between noon and 5 pm at home; my body was obviously awake so I enjoyed Runner Runner and About Time.  During the second movie I was served a traditional English breakfast which wasn’t half bad but then again, I was starving. 

Around 6 pm EST and 4:30 am IST I landed in India. It was dark so I was unable to see most of the country coming in but when I started to see signs that there might be some life I was taken aback.  Tiny pockets of lights here and there and the rest was darkness.  I’m not sure if there was life in the dark areas but I assume there was.  It was just so astonishing.  As we made our way closer and closer, the lighted areas became a bit larger but not by much.  We finally touched down in Hyderabad, India and I was about to experience a once in a lifetime opportunity.  I successfully made it through customs with my first passport stamp and moved along to baggage claim.

The part that wasn’t so ‘once in a lifetime’ was what happened at baggage claim.  Need I remind you that I switched planes out of Cincinnati and missed my connection in Chicago?  I didn’t think so.  Waiting and waiting at the baggage carousel made me more nervous as the minutes ticked by.  Finally after a long awaited time, I saw the smaller of my two bags fall onto the carousel.  Snatching it I was able to take off my extremely heavy backpack and let it rest on my luggage.  But there I stood, still waiting for my larger bag.  You know, the one filled with all my toiletries, makeup, half my clothes, half my snacks, my chocolate treats for the team and my winter coat…yep that one.  And then the carousel stopped and my heart sunk a little. 

I was no fool to think that all of my bags would arrive at my final destination.  I mean, seriously, what would have been the chances of that happening after my travels thus far?  Clearly slim.  Another traveler had mentioned that he was missing a bag also and while I stood there trying to figure out what to do I recognized his travel mate as an American women.  (No, I couldn’t completely tell she was from the US, I had heard her speak while waiting for my luggage.)  She nicely directed me to the most comical Lost Baggage Claim area I had ever seen. 

About 10 Indian men and women stood in front of the counter where 4 workers stood except, only 1 worker was actually helping everyone.  When I walked up to one of the other men and asked for a lost baggage form he mumbled something and basically told me he couldn’t help.  It wasn’t until later that I learned he only worked for Air India.  Now, I won’t go into all the details but let me see how I can put this into words…..  They were the most unorganized, unhurried, confused, unresponsive, ignorant people I’ve ever seen.  The BA rep was trying to help about 6 people all at the same time.  I don’t know if you’ve ever had any experience with Indians speaking to other Indians but when they want something they are viciously rude.   So I kept my cool (I know, I can hear your gasps from India) and waited patiently for my turn.  What else was I going to do?  I was dead tired in a foreign country with military men walking around with the largest guns I’d ever seen in real life.  I was not about to make a scene. 

After an hour, I finally got a print out that I had to take from one end of the baggage claim area to another for some stamp.  This required me walking through security where a little old man sat, probably in his 70’s and mumbled at you to move forward.  I figured all my bags needed to go through and learned after somehow interpreting India grunts that he actually only wanted my backpack to go through.  So I got my stamp from security and went back to the baggage line where I waited another 10 minutes before I was ready to leave.  Receiving enough instructions to feel satisfied, I left the baggage area hoping I would see my bag again. 

Around the corner I met a few of my fellow associates and my driver, Mujeep.  We were off to the hotel in no time.  Let me just preface that India drivers are daredevils.  As my driver cautiously drove through the madness I could tell he was holding back and greatly appreciated him for it.  He will definitely deserve his tip.  I got to see the sun rise, hundreds of people walking on the road that was probably the equivalent of a US highway, numerous trucks carrying who knows what, military men doing sit ups on the side of the road and so many other things I couldn’t even take it all in.  Or take pictures because we were moving so quickly (but safely, moms.) 




I saw a few places that looked like the bar in the movie From Dusk Till Dawn and actually expected to see semi-trailers behind the buildings.  We drove past places that in no way looked like they should be someone’s home, but I’m sure it was.  It was shocking and breath taking.  I wanted a picture but didn’t want anything to be misinterpreted.  After 30 minutes or so we had made it into the city where I began to see the infamous Tuk Tuk (India’s version of a cab) and more people on motorcycles or scooters, etc. 


Turning onto the main road there were people everywhere and cars and Tuk Tuk’s and motorcycles and even more.  There were even some artful structures. 


A few minutes later I made it into the Westin Hyderabad Mindspace compound.  Our car was checked for bombs (totally safe by the way) and my bag was yet again run through an x-ray scanner (just in case the first 10 I’d gone through missed some weapon.)  Once I was all cleared I went inside and registered with the front desk also informing them of my lost luggage.  I finally got to my room about 9:15 pm EST or 7:45 am IST.  I tried the complementary breakfast because I was hungry and ended up with a croissant then went back upstairs to sleep until I had to be at the office.  

I hope you enjoyed today’s entry.  Please come back in the next few days for more updates and hopefully more pictures.  You should be able to subscribe to this blog if you are a Gmail user, don’t quote me on that though. 

Much love,

Melissa

1 comment:

  1. Wow, what an adventure....sounds like you truly managed to enjoy the experience while maintaining your cool!! I know your theatre history but perhaps you have missed your calling also as a writer! Very entertaining, Love MOM

    ReplyDelete