Sunday, February 9, 2014

Sunday Drive to Charminar, Part 3

More beautiful fruit.  There were fruit stands everywhere but I had already been warned not to eat anything that could be purchased on the street.


About 3 pm IST we met near Nizamia General Hospital and started on the craziest journey I have ever experienced.  I wasn’t comfortable wielding my camera and keeping my purse safe at the same time.  People were staring at the pale redheaded girl already and I didn’t feel the need to draw anymore attention to myself.  The shopping was basically flea market style with cheaper items and much more filth. 

This was a building next to the hospital where we parked.

Glad these aren't our scaffolds for Follies!!!
Such beautiful architecture though.

Makkah Masjid

The street overlooking some Charminar shopping.

Charminar:
Built in 1591 and is a Monument and Mosque


We were going to go to the top and look around which would have provided some fantastic photos but the line was very long and in the middle of the street, just like everything else here. 

We had to walk between cars and in the middle of traffic to maneuver through the area.  I was lucky I didn’t get run over at least a few times, probably more if I had been able to see 360 degrees around me.  I inhaled so much exhaust that more than once I just held my breath while walking through the area.  

We had to walk between cars and in the middle of traffic to maneuver through the area.  I was lucky I didn’t get run over at least a few times, probably more if I had been able to see 360 degrees around me.  I inhaled so much exhaust that more than once I just held my breath while walking through the area. 

I wish I could have taken more pictures of the actual shops but between not being run over by motorcycles, Tuk Tuk’s, food carts, cars and people and making sure I went home with everything I arrived with I just wasn’t able to. 

Once we left Charminar we found a few actual stores to go into.  The one I found lots of goodies at was more of a Handicraft store.  I probably would have purchased even more if the girls hadn’t been with me at this point since there was almost no bargaining.  I’ll just have to settle for the shops in the Westin for my final few purchases.

Only five and a half days left and I couldn’t be more excited to leave India.  While the culture is new to me and the colors are vibrant, the people are very rude and have no sense of boundaries or time.  One thing is for certain, I won’t be begging to come back anytime soon.

Much Love,
Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment